>From: Jo Jaquinta <jaymin>
>Subject: cherryhlist -- How old are spacers?
>Date: Thu, 1 Oct 92 9:17:44 BST

	Has anyone actually clocked up how much time passes in Chanur's
Legacy? To the best of my recollection it is only about a week or two
at most. Yet over a year passes in stationary space. This fits with I
figure I saw in one of the books of something like 38 days of realtime
spent in jump. This means spacers end up being around for a *long* time.
If they spend, say, two weeks in space between jumps and then six subjective
weeks in jump that a factor of 1 : 4. I.e. for each apparent year from
their point of view four years pass back home. This gives lifespans in the
200s!
	I think the big Union merchant ships spend longer in real-space,
but even a two week stay gives them twice a normal life-span. In Hellburners
Graff is asked by the investigation board how old he is "I haven't calculated
it recently."
	Which brings me on to a favourite topic: The Fleet. I wouldn't
dismiss them quite as readily as people seem to. OK they aren't mentioned
much in Cyteen but I don't see them being totally out of the picture.
They have been pushed back into the hinder stars but if they are running
and stringing their jumps they are going to be around for a *long* time.
What would you do if you were Mazian?

			Jo

HTML formatting by Andreas Wandelt .