>From: Lesley Grant <lgrant@maths.tcd.ie>
>Subject: Cherryhlist
>Date: Fri, 3 Sep 93 14:01:11 BST

> >From: Onno Meyer <Onno.Meyer@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de>
> Py thinks that the mahe got/observed the technology, assimilated it
> for their ships and distributed it to the fleet IN ONE HANI YEAR.
> Wether this happened or not doesn't matter - Pyanfar thinks it is
> possible in one hani year, and one human year is in my opinion not
> long enough, thus I conclude that a hani year is longer than a human
> year.

	Sounds a reasonable conclusion. Have you got an estimate for
the length of a hani year?

> > In short, Pyanfar with her two children (and Huran (?) Faha with her
> > apparent only child) are not typical of the bulk of the hani species, and
> > we can't draw conclusions about the stability of the species from them

> This may be true if (a) the poor classes depend on their children for
> their pension and (b) a child will have a higher return than the initial
> investment. If every hani is part of a clan more than part of a family,
> the clan will attempt to manage the population growth to stabilize the
> economy, and the younger generation will pay for the retirement of the
> older generation. And if 50% of the children are male (and they won't
> be aborted(sp?)), a child is a very risky method of insurance.

	Hani society doesn't seem to have anything in the way of state
welfare, so everyone is going to be depending on their family to look
after them in old age, which ultimately means their kids.
	Children will give a higher return for their mothers' investment
as they will eventually be useful for making links with other families,
running family business, and generally making sure the clan doesn't go
down the tubes. It is probably in clan interests to have as many female
members as possible to decrease the risk of losing them in illness, through
shady business dealings, and so on. The only hani who need to limit their
families are the upper-class ones, as they will want to preserve family
assets (Pyanfar decides against a third Chanur offspring for Mahn, Hilfy
thanks the gods she doesn't have a kid to link Chanur and Sfaura). Clans
as a whole, however, want the next generation to grow -- if there's too
many of them, they can always go start a sister/vassal clan somewhere else.
	In modern hani society, the male:female ratio may be much less
than 50/50. Tiar is "old fashioned" for not aborting her sons, and it's
certainly implied that many (if not most) women would have got rid of
the foetus in such an instance. The pressure in hani society is to have
daughters, not sons, and those daughters will be pressured to have more
daughters, and so on. This may eventually lead to a shortage of men (not
"enough" challenges, too few men for unmarried hani to have children by
[all the married hani we see are very upper class, all the unmarried are
'lower class' -- perhaps marriage is reserved for upper class links between
clans? It certainly has nothing to do with the legitimation of children])

> If hani have reached a space-based economy, I would expect them to have
> developed a society comparable to an industrialized country today, or
> even more advanced. The fact that they still use clans and that these
> clans are an economic unit shouldn't prevent them from forming larger
> structures to operate factories and cities. (If it does, how can a
> single clan build a starship?).

	Hani society seems as unchanged from their pre-contact days as
possible. We don't see any cities for example. Presumably the ship-yards,
banks and so on are run by Immunes. Clans, while becoming more like
companies, still mostly work on the basis of kinship-links. I'd say clans
borrow money from their allies (ties of kinship again) if they can't
afford a ship by themselves, or go to an Immune bank (if the kif can have
banks, so can the hani :-)

		Lesley

[this is a second version of an article which mysteriuosly vanished. Sorry,
if the first one also turns up. <Here little chicken>]

WWW formatting by Andreas Wandelt .