>From: Onno Meyer <Onno.Meyer@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de>
>Subject: cherryhlist
>Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1993 11:14:15 +0200 (MET DST)

> A question was raised - a mere, glancing blow - no wonder you don't
> remember it - about hani ship-building and whether each clan built its own.
> I think Onno mentioned it as unlikely and, indeed, he is correct.  "(T)here
> was the huge null-g shipyard of Harn Station, where all hani ships were
> born and where they came for refitting and repair."  In my search for
> Cherryh lit crit, I checked out INSIDE OUTER SPACE which has an article by
> Cherryh in it, in which she explains the uselessness of planets to a
> space-faring species.  I'll excerpt interesting passages if anyone is
> interested, with the caveat that they will be the passages I am interested
> in.

Nobody ever proposed that EVERY clan would build its own ships. The question
is wether a SINGLE clan could do the shipbuilding (for every other clan).
I doubt even that, unless an awful lot of work is subcontracted.
BTW, post those passages!

> I also noted that Pyanfar was surprised because Tully's ship was unarmed.
> I dare say they would have been had they known of the Compact species.

To you believe Tully? It would have been completely reasonable for him to
lie, and he didn't knew the hani that well.
Even if he attempted to tell the truth, nobody knows what the translator
made of his sentence. He could have said "not a warship" or something
similar. In the introduction of _DS_ it was stated that Earth/EC probes
had always been armed, but these probes would be no match for a carrier
or a dartship, thus they could be counted as semi-civilian craft.

Thinking about the human/hani first contact, I was surprised about the
carelessness of the hani. They gave food and medicine to an alien without
a second thought. They knew three species with similar biochemistry,
but somewhere the effect of hani tea on stsho is mentioned: highly
intoxicating. When they got Jik from the kif, they did a library search
on the stuff they could give him, and hani knew mahendo'sat for
centuries. The same applies to Tully: he sniffed at the cup of water
they gave him. Well, maybe he had no choice but to try.

Onno Meyer

WWW formatting by Andreas Wandelt .