Nancy writes:

>I am peregrinating slowly through PRIDE, endeavoring to notice Important
>Points, and doubtless missing every future topic of discussion.

The Chanur series was the first Cherryh I ever read.  It was an
overwhelming experience in many senses of the word.  I enjoyed it
immensely, but it was not until I had read some Union/Alliance books that I
began to understand some of the subtleties; I think there is still much
that I am missing.  I am continually amazed by the depth of insight
expressed in this list, so I decided to go back and reread the series.  The
plan was to finish this in time for my birthday when I expect to get a copy
of _Chanur's Legacy_, now in paperback in Australia!!

On rereading the books (I have just started _Homecoming_), I was struck
time and again by how much I had missed/forgotten on the first reading.
There is so much depth in this book, and Cherryh's handling of politics
(*alien* politics at that) is so adept, that I find I have to reread
passages over again even now to try to understand.  It all makes much more
sense now.  On my first reading, for example, there was no way I could have
understood exactly what was meant by the three human "Compacts."

>I also noted that Pyanfar was surprised because Tully's ship was unarmed.
>I dare say they would have been had they known of the Compact species.

I was surprised by this as well.  Tully was surely lying about this.  To
send an unarmed ship into unknown space while the Mazianni are still about
(are they Onno?) is inconceivable.  Tully was not known to tell the whole
truth always.

>A quick reading recommendation.  Has anyone read SERPENT'S EGG
>by Robert L. Forward?  I found it fascinating, as did my "hard science"
>roomie.

Forward certainly writes very good "hard SF," and he certainly knows what
he is talking about.  In Australia it was called _Dragon's Egg_ I think
from memory, but I may be wrong.

Onno writes:
>Of course I realize that the importance of the Han contradicts my
>assumptions, but that could be an old-fashioned system that no
>longer represents the real power distribution.

I think that the han is a recent development, set up by the mahendo'sat.
There is a reference to this in TKSB somewhere near the end.  The concept
of the han does not really fit in with my idea of traditional old-fashioned
hani society.

Ian Davis                                    davis@licre.ludwig.edu.au

WWW formatting by Andreas Wandelt .