;Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1993 11:13:33 +0100
;From: Markus Stumptner <mst@vexpert.dbai.tuwien.ac.at>
;Subject: cherryhlist

>Also, i wondered if Tully would've fared any better if he had some sort of
>hand-to-hand training, or some sort of weapons training... I definitely got
>the impression that, as he said, he IS just a nobody, a Joe Spacer of sorts...

I agree.  Also, this was one of the arguments that went towards
convincing me that his ship indeed was an exploratory ship, not
a military one on a mission of conquest.

On the topic of the rider drive...

>	Drive 2) isn't particularly maneuverable. It can slow you
>down quickly or speed you up quickly but only the knnn can use it
>for inter-course maneuvers.

Doesn't this distinction somehow postulate an absolute frame of
reference?  I think this may be a problem.

>>"Pulse of the main engines. ... Second pulse, high-g RO, intermittent
>>accel ..." HB325 Drive 2) doesn't produce high-g. The rider engine
>>makes two short, high-g bursts.
>	I have difficulty beleiving in a completely inertialess system.
>Inertially damped, yes. Thus the massive acceleration/deceleration of
>drive 2) is damped down to just high-g.

Good point. The "intermittent accel" also would tend to indicate some kind
of "buffeting" that gets through instead of the main effect of the
drive.

	Markus

WWW formatting by Andreas Wandelt .