;Subject: cherryhlist - Tully
;Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1993 10:01:42 +0100 (MET)
;From: Onno Meyer <Onno.Meyer@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de>

> ;From: Markus Stumptner <mst@vexpert.dbai.tuwien.ac.at>
>
> >Also, i wondered if Tully would've fared any better if he had some sort of
> >hand-to-hand training, or some sort of weapons training... I definitely got
> >the impression that, as he said, he IS just a nobody, a Joe Spacer of sorts...
> I agree.  Also, this was one of the arguments that went towards
> convincing me that his ship indeed was an exploratory ship, not
> a military one on a mission of conquest.

Do you think a crewman on a carrier would have the combat training of
a trooper? Of course all military personell would have some combat
training (Pollard got excused from unarmed combat because of his comp
skill), but not on a level to fight the handpicked thugs of a hakkikt,
and humans have no claws like Kif, Hani and, to a lesser extent,
Mahendo'sat.

I agree that this was no military conquest mission, since such a mission
would have been flown by one or more carriers. I think it is unlikely
that a carrier that has any survivors at all would have only four
survivors out of 4000 crew and troops. Those four humans were no away
team, either, since a first contact group would have consisted of
communications people, not scan.
The only warship that would leave four survivors after it is crippled
is a dartship, but earth has no darts and they're not used for scouting
but for hit-and-run.

What do you think?

Onno

WWW formatting by Andreas Wandelt .