| UP (discussion topics) |

What are 'appropriate topics' for the Cherryh discussion list?

view full message
>From: Jo Jaquinta <jaymin@maths.tcd.ie>
>Subject: Cherryhlist/catching up
>Date: Fri, 3 Sep 93 13:12:16 BST
(...)

Appropriate Topics:
When catching up I noticed one or two comments on "that is not appropriate" along with directions I did not feel were appropriate (the comments did not refer to the threads, either :-)
*Personally*: I would like to see every article relate in some way to Cherryh, her life or her works. Sort of like the "obligatary joke" included in each posting to eunet.jokes.
*Officially*: as "moderator" I will not stop any article from being posted. Any article sent will be distributed. This if functionally equivalent to a alt.newsgroup. Although we have the volume for a newsgroup I really wouldn't want to see this grow in that direction as the amount of rubbish (plesantly low at the moment) would increase to the usual newsnet level.
Enough of this...

(...)
				Jo

view full message
>Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1993 11:29:48 -0400 (EDT)
>From: NACHISON@SCSUD.CTSTATEU.EDU
>Subject: cherryhlist
I hate to be a spoilsport, but would it be possible for the technical discussion of game-rules (and ESP all programming code) to be continued off-list among the participants who want to work on it? I'd probably be curious about the final outcome, but I'm not a gamer, and I'm not a programmer, and the technical details (& screen after screen after screen of code) don't seem particularly germane to a discussion of the books.
    Beth

view full message
>Subject: cherryhlist; LONG messages
>Date: Fri, 17 Sep 93 10:46:08 PDT
>From: Karl Elvis MacRae <batman@cisco.com>
Hiya folks!

I hate to have my first posting here be a bitch, but...

Can we not do stuff like post 800+ lines of code to a discussion list? Some people have tiny little screens, and it takes a DAMN long time to page through something like that; and it's damned annoying to page through 800+ lines of code for a game I'm not interested in to find there's nothing after it.

Sure, there are ways around it (Don't bother, I know them, that's not the point), but I still think it's outta place.

Perhaps we could have such posted seperately with a unique heading, or better yet, have we got an ftp site we could stick them on so we don't have to use mail bandwidth and take up mailbox space (For which some people pay) with software?

Thanks....
			-Karl
(...)

view full message
>From: Onno Meyer <Onno.Meyer@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de>
>Subject: Cherryhlist - starchase
>Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1993 10:27:40 +0200 (MET DST)
(...)
> 	Can we not do stuff like post 800+ lines of code to a 
> 	discussion list? Some people have tiny little screens, and
> 	it takes a DAMN long time to page through something like
> 	that; and it's damned annoying to page through 800+ lines
> 	of code for a game I'm not interested in to find there's 
> 	nothing after it.
I agree that the code is a bad idea, but I would like to keep the discussion on the list, to get comments from those who would not join a separate mailing list for the game.
Onno

view full message
>From: Lesley Grant <lgrant@maths.tcd.ie>
>Subject: Cherryhlist
>Date: Mon, 20 Sep 93 9:42:16 BST
Huge Big Humoungous Code: I've got to agree with Beth and Karl that this did not make for the most entertaining reading.
			Lesley

view full message
>Subject: Cherryhlist/Admin -- Long Articles
>Date: Tue, 21 Sep 93 8:36:25 BST
For those of you who have pieces which they judge to be too long for regular distribution or else of too narrow interest or of general, but continued interest, we currently provide the service of the archive server.
To put stuff on the server just ftp into walton.maths.tcd.ie and there should be a pub/incoming directory. Dump it three and drop me a line telling me the file name. Then send a message to the list (if it is of very general interest to rec.arts.sf.written too).
To retreive stuff from the server ftp into walton.maths.tcd.ie and change to the pub/jaymin/cherryh directory.
				Jo Grant

view full message
>Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1993 11:15:54 CDT
>From: mills@centurylub.com
>Subject: C. J. Cherryh List
>> From: NACHISON@SCSUD.CTSTATEU.EDU

> I hate to be a spoilsport, but would it be possible for the technical 
> discussion of game-rules (and ESP all programming code) to be continued
> off-list among the participants who want to work on it?
Once again Beth speaks my mind for me more eloquently than I am able (you all do, that's why I'm a lurker). I agree that it will be of great interest once the gamers have had their way with it, but I'd really rather spend my limited free time reading discussions of her books.
        Steve 
(...)

view full message
>Subject: Cherryhlist/Starchase data
>Date: Fri, 24 Sep 93 8:46:24 BST
(...)

BTW, Matt, *I* saw that what you posted wasn't 800 lines of code, it was a postscript file :-). I printed it too. Cute cards, but I still think your ideas are a bit complicated. After doing some heavy thinking for Dave Zink I finally I have some sort of ship design strategy and am working on that...
			Jo

view full message
;Date: Mon, 1 Nov 93 10:12:58 EST
;From: Jo_Grant.LOTUSINT.LOTUS@CRD.lotus.com
;Subject: Cherryhlist/Star Chasing -- across the universe...
(...)

I know it can be tiresome wading through detailed game-rule discussion on the list. May I suggest we keep rules-submissions on FTP access? Detailed rule analysis and comentary should probably go to the author of the variant. General discussions of what trade is like in general I think might be appropriate for the general list, perhaps prefixed with StarChase in the title.

(...)
				Jo

Copyright by the authors of the individual messages.
HTML formatting by Andreas Wandelt .