| UP (discussion topics) |

Black and immunity - is Chanur immune?

view full message
>From: Onno Meyer <Onno.Meyer@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de>
>Subject: cherryhlist
>Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1993 10:05:41 +0200 (MET DST)
In _CL_, Hilfy wears black on page two. Has Chanur gone immune? (In _PC_, Py wore black, but I dismissed that as "universe under construction".)
If Chanur is immune, how could there be so much trouble in running the clan? Hani become immune lord by outliving everybody else.

It would be reasonable to make somebody in Pyanfars position immune, but that decision would probably have to be made by groundling Hani, and they dislike her, don't they?

view full message
;Date: Sun, 03 Oct 93 22:57:01 -0400
;From: "Nancy Silberstein" <silbersteinn@a1.mscf.upenn.edu>
;Subject: Cherryhlist/LEGACY
I recently reread CHANUR'S LEGACY, now that it is out in paperback and I can own my very own copy. Some comments in passing:

1.) Hilfy is definitely wearing(immune?) black the first time we see her. "She cut a fair figure, red-gold hide and black silk breeches..." I didn't find any other references to her wearing black; instead, on p. 338 pb, "Hilfy's trousers went a peculiar muted red..." Has Cherryh dropped a thread here?

(...)
njs  3-OCT-1993 18:21 

view full message
;Subject: cherryhlist
;Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1993 09:14:36 +0100 (MET)
;From: Onno Meyer <Onno.Meyer@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de>
> 1.)  Hilfy is definitely wearing(immune?) black the first time we see her.  
> (...)
But Py had black trousers in PC, too. I dismissed that as "universe under construction". It would have been reasonable to make Chanur Immune if Pyanfar rules the whole compact. However, immune clans are a planetside thing, and she never visited Anuurn again (at least there are hints she didn't). Why would she care about being Immune if she was Mekt-Hakkikt?

(...)
Onno

view full message
;From: Lesley Grant <lgrant@maths.tcd.ie>
;Subject: Cherryhlist
;Date: Fri, 8 Oct 93 9:05:24 BST
> But Py had black trousers in PC, too. I dismissed that as "universe under 
> construction". (...)
Given that both Py and Hilfy wear black, without being Immune (as obviously Chanur isn't, given the number of court cases it attracts :-), I think we have to say that it isn't that *only Immunes* are allowed to wear black, but rather that Immunes are *only allowed* wear black. I.E., anyone can wear it if they want, but Immunes have to wear it all the time. Also, whenever an Immune shows up, they are always described as wearing "Immune black". Perhaps this denotes a 'special' black? Maybe totally undecorated?

(...)
			Lesley

view full message
;From: David Zink <zink@panix.com>
;Subject: Re: C. J. Cherryh List
;Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1993 02:35:54 -0400 (EDT)
(...)

I always assumed Immune Black was a lot like a policeman's blues. The Uniform color for official functions.

(...)
	--David

Copyright by the authors of the individual messages.
HTML formatting by Andreas Wandelt .