| UP (discussion topics) |

What happened to the Mazianni? Where did they go after the war?

view full message
>From: Onno Meyer <Onno.Meyer@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de>
>Subject: cherryhlist
>Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1993 10:30:02 +0200 (MET DST)
[Tully said his ship was unarmed]
> I was surprised by this as well.  Tully was surely lying about this.  To 
> send an unarmed ship into unknown space while the Mazianni are still about 
> (are they Onno?) is inconceivable.  Tully was not known to tell the whole 
> truth always.
This is one of the many unanswered questions. The compact books can be dated only with an accuracy of about 40 years, and the Mazianni were around in the early part of this time. However, nobody knows when the last one died/surrendered.
Onno Meyer 

view full message
>Date: Fri, 10 Sep 93 10:42:37 CDT
>From: goldman@orac.cray.com (Goldman of Chaos -- postmaster CRI-US)
Just a few questions that have come up while thinking about role playing games and the C.J. Cherryh universe:

(...)

2) Where did Mazian's fleet go after their raid on Earth?

(...)
Matt
(...)

view full message
>From: Onno Meyer <Onno.Meyer@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de>
>Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1993 10:22:07 +0200 (MET DST)
> 2) Where did Mazian's fleet go after their raid on Earth?
That is unknown. It is not only unknown to the readers but also unknown to the historians(sp?) of Union and Alliance. There was the theory that the Mazianni reactivated some old station that was mothballed long ago (I think that is mentioned in RR). However, it is possible that the Mazianni had no home at all: They conquer a station in ML and are thrown out again, they attempt to get a station in RR, and again in ML it was mentioned that they had merchanters who could do some trading on Alliance stations. The warships could be on the run all the time, meeting freighters for resupply - or looting merchanters if they can.
Onno

view full message
>From: Jo Jaquinta <jaymin@maths.tcd.ie>
>Subject: Cherryhlist/Gaming queries
>Date: Fri, 17 Sep 93 17:12:11 BST
(...)
>2) Where did Mazian's fleet go after their raid on Earth?
One of my favourite topics!
In all post-_DS_ books the Fleet is either glibly put aside or refered to in the past tense. Personally, because of the time dilation, it seems evident that The Fleet is going to be around for a *long* time. I posted a plot outline for some fan fiction which has one of the ships running into the Kif but I have never written it.

(...)
			Jo

view full message
;From: David Zink <zink@panix.com>
;Subject: Re: C. J. Cherryh List
;Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1993 02:35:54 -0400 (EDT)
(...)

Didn't the Maziani sort of disappear? And didn't they disappear in the same direction (behind earth, away from the Alliance/Union stars)?
	--David

view full message
;Subject: cherryhlist
;Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1993 10:13:21 +0100 (MET)
;From: Onno Meyer <Onno.Meyer@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de>
(...)
> Didn't the Maziani sort of disappear?  And didn't they disappear in the
> same direction (behind earth, away from the Alliance/Union stars)?
At the end of DS, six carriers were left. One was (probably) lost in '58 (RR), and one lost the troops in ML (probably earlier than RR). Both RR and ML give the impression that the Mazianni were still active in human space, but some or all could have made a quick ride with the kif.

If that is true, the Chanur books happen several years/decades after DS, and Earth makes a first contact with the Compact, but the compact had met humans earlier.

This is possible, but there is no real proof, just assumptions.

(...)
Onno

view full message
;From: Jo Jaquinta <jaymin@maths.tcd.ie>
;Subject: CherryhList/Mazian & Endings
;Date: Wed, 27 Oct 93 18:47:06 GMT
(...)
> Now, where did the other carriers go?
Anyone want to do a quick head-count? Who's left? Once we have numbers we can think of ideas...
			Jo

view full message
;Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1993 10:09:36 +0100 (MET)
(...)
> 	Anyone want to do a quick head-count? Who's left? Once we have
> numbers we can think of ideas...
Six left Pell at the end of DS, India was two riders short. There should have been four lonely riders insystem unless they were killed without mentioning it. India was probably lost with all hands in RR, and Australia lost some or all troops in ML.

(...)

view full message
;From: nancy ott <ott@ansoft.com>
;Date: Fri, 29 Oct 93 12:08:15 EDT
(...)

>Six left Pell at the end of DS, India was two riders short. There should
>have been four lonely riders insystem unless they were killed without
>mentioning it. India was probably lost with all hands in RR, and Australia
>lost some or all troops in ML.
A while back, someone brought up the reference that the humans had been a "long time problem" to the mahendo'sat. This might indicate that one or more Mazianni carriers had penetrated mahen space and were causing trouble there. Then again, it could just mean that the mahendo'sat had been picking up Earth TV/radio transmissions for a while (it was specifically mentioned that they were listening for such from other species) and were't sure what to do. I imagine that all those episodes of I Love Lucy, the Love Boat and Dallas -- not to mention MTV, Howard Stern and the Republican National Convention -- would give them a pretty strange impression of the human race.

Perhaps someday Union will stumble upon a star system with a hulk of a carrier in orbit and a small colony of *very* bitter Mazianni descendants.....but I tend to think most of the Mazianni were taken out in individual actions in Union and Alliance space.

It's also mentioned in "Cyteen" that the Mazianni might have had a secret supply base at old Beta station, but nobody seemed to have ever gone there to check out the rumor (logical enough if there are thought to be several Mazianni carriers lurking about). Still, one would think that the chance to mop up Mazian's fleet and eliminate his supply line would be tempting enough to create a joint Union/Earth/Alliance task force and simply overwhelm them .....
- nancy
(...)

view full message
;Date: Mon, 1 Nov 93 12:14:55 EST
;From: Jo_Grant.LOTUSINT.LOTUS@CRD.lotus.com
;Subject: Cherryhlist/Maziani Carriers
(...)
>Perhaps someday Union will stumble upon a star system with a hulk of a
>carrier in orbit and a small colony of *very* bitter Mazianni
>descendants.....
I did "Maziani meets Kif" why don't *you* do this one?
>It's also mentioned in "Cyteen" that the Mazianni might have had a
>secret supply base at old Beta station, but nobody seemed to have ever
>gone there to check out the rumor(...)
Remember Beta and the older Hinder stars were colonised by Sub-light space-ships. These early stations were selected largely by nearness criteria. Jump-geography seems to depend more on the mass of the stars involved, not their distance (there is an enormous 40ly jump route on the Company War 3D map. Maybe it is a mistake, maybe it really depends on the masses). Thus Alpha, ElDorado, etc, etc, my not be easily accessable by jump ships.
Granted Cherryh does say (in Rim Runners?) that the Hinder Stars that were restarted were eventually redundant as the new Union merchanters could overjump them and didn't need to stop there (and they had nothing to trade). I'm willing to bet that some were not readily accessible or only by secret routes known only to some of the Maziani (Obviously those Mallory knew were probably taken and flushed out).
[In the story their hydroponics come from one of the older Hinder Stations that they knew a route to.]
				Jo

view full message
;Subject: cherryhlist: Mahe/Fleet contacts
;Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1993 09:34:03 +0100 (MET)

> ;From: nancy ott <ott@ansoft.com>
> 
> A while back, someone brought up the reference that the humans had
> been a "long time problem" to the mahendo'sat.  This might indicate
> that one or more Mazianni carriers had penetrated mahen space and were
> causing trouble there.  Then again, it could just mean (...)
But that was said during the second contact. It could refer to the ship Tully came from in PC and to the Ulysses, it could describe Earth efforts to get another direction for colonisation, or it could be the Fleet.
> It's also mentioned in "Cyteen" that the Mazianni might have had a
> secret supply base at old Beta station, (...)
> one would
> think that the chance to mop up Mazian's fleet and eliminate his
> supply line would be tempting enough to create a joint
> Union/Earth/Alliance task force and simply overwhelm them .....
But Union alone would have at least 1:2 superiority in ships, if not much more. They could afford a surprise hit-and-run against Beta, since there are no "innocent" stationers, either they blow a wreck into pieces or an enemy base.
Onno Meyer

view full message
;Date: Wed, 1 Dec 93 04:24:12 EST
;From: Jo_Grant.LOTUSINT.LOTUS@CRD.lotus.com
;Subject: CherryhList/Timeline
(...)

Having just re-read Rimrunners I discovered in the begining that Mazian attacked Earth not once, but twice!
				Jo

Copyright by the authors of the individual messages.
HTML formatting by Andreas Wandelt .