| UP (discussion topics) |

Using the realspace/hyperspace interface

view full message
>Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1993 07:46:54 EDT
>From: davis@licre.ludwig.edu.au
>Subject: cherryhlist
(...)

An interesting difference between knnn (and possibly t'ca) ships and other Compact ships: there are several references to hani ships "dipping into the interface" even on the long jumps (as opposed to manoeuvring or acceleration), and being incapable of changing vector or communicating during jump. The methane breathers seem to dip far further into hyperspace, and are clearly able to communicate and change vector there.

I think that drawing somebody did before (Jo?) was a good one, but there may be another level further down through which the knnn commute.
Ian Davis                                  davis@licre.ludwig.edu.au

view full message
;Subject: cherryhlist - docking/fuel/questions
;From:	Peter Jakobi <jakobi@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>
;Date:	Wed, 19 Jan 1994 23:50:46 +0100
(...)

- Concerning an old thread:
Using the interface (to subspace) a ship may accelerate/dump speed. I think it's also possible to change direction within limits using the interface. Otherwise I'm not convinced of the disadvantage of small speeds, when any greater change of course must include a stand still of the ship... Perhaps the interface acts as kind of multiplicator of the normal space engines (Legacy: The Legacy cannot accelerate as fast as it could because of it's Stsho passengers' inability to stand more than 1.5g. But the main part of the velocity must be gained/dumped by use of the interface! Legacy p224: 4h from Kita and they were approaching jump (ship-time?)).

[In the Chanur series there a few examples using the interface to speed up/speed down relative to mass centers. Especially in the battle at the end of Pride of Chanur: Some ships are around the mahen hunter ships so they cannot use the interface to reverse course]

Is this consistent with your view?
Peter

view full message
;Subject: cherryhlist  - ship design
;Date: Mon, 24 Jan 1994 12:20:01 +0100 (MET)
;From: Onno Meyer <Onno.Meyer@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de>
(...)
> - Concerning an old thread:
>   Using the interface (to subspace) a ship may accelerate/dump speed. 
>  (...)
If you imply by "multiplicator" that the vanes add to the effect of running engines, I disagree. The velocity changes come in bursts. Perhaps the velocity (in a frame of reference with the local gravity well) is multiplied with a constant every time the vanes pulse, and the ships use their realspace engines to get something worth multiplying.

(...)
Onno Meyer

view full message
;Subject: cherryhlist - various answers
;From:	Peter Jakobi <jakobi@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>
;Date:	Tue, 1 Feb 1994 06:41:19 +0100
(...)
>>   Using the interface (to subspace) a ship may accelerate/dump speed. 
> If you  imply  by "multiplicator" that the vanes add to the effect of
> running  engines,  I disagree.  The velocity changes come in bursts.
> Perhaps the velocity (in a frame of reference with the local gravity
> well) is multiplied with a constant every time the vanes pulse, and
                             ~~~~~~~~ rather a function of the pulse...
> the ships use their realspace engines to get sth. worth multiplying.
About my thought.

(*)Now speed is saver in crisis according to CJC.

I'm not certain why this should be the case.

CH: You need speed to get through some 20m of cargo holds, frame etc to really hurt an hunter ship. At least the kind of missile the Pride had. But that's not necessarily an advantage for the fast ship. Whether a fast ship hits a stationary mine or a stationary ship is hit by a fast missile, you have the same impulse. It doesn't matter whether a slow ship or a fast ship is suddenly accelerating by 5g - it's about the same error in observers' estimate. The advantage thus must be connected to the interface: if you're within a certain speed interval you can either up or down your space using the interface. Another advantage would be if you could use the interface to CHANGE COURSE WITHIN LIMITS. (**) So with speed you would gain increased manoeuvrability. This would explain (*). In CH at Urtur, the Pride had to drop all speed and use the mains to implement the change to Kura Vektor. The kif hunter's however are described as having time to spare in Urtur system. At another place, it's said that a ship on certain jump routes could 'slew' to avoid the standard inbound vector and instead reappear in the target system's nadir. This might strengthen (**) and explain statement (*).
(...)
Copyright by the authors of the individual messages.
HTML formatting by Andreas Wandelt .