| UP (discussion topics) |

Project: Cherryh Compendium/Concordance

view full message
>From: Jo Jaquinta <jaymin@maths.tcd.ie>
>Subject: Cherryhlist/Gaming queries
>Date: Fri, 17 Sep 93 17:12:11 BST
(...)

Having contemplated a CherryhGame for some time you have to remember you can look at it in two ways. Firstly you have to accumulate all the facts and things presented in her books. This can be difficult because Cherryh seldom takes the role of Author-all-knowing but instead leaves you to see things through the characters, often biased, views. A book composed entirely of these things would be similar to they many compendiums available for other authors worlds.
The second category is extrapolating from what she has said to what follows logically or what is necessary. This is when you enter the realm of a gaming supplement. Here the corners and empty spots of the universe are rounded out but in so doing you have to insert you own material.
For example the ship list currently on the archive is compiled from a Cherryh's notes and would fall under the first "deductive" category. You ship list fills in the gaps and would come under the second "inductive" category. I'll happily rationalise it with the other list and put it on the server too.

There is a project I had thought of just before I went to the states but have not had the chance to propose to the list. Namely the starting of the first stage and producing a Concordance of Cherryh's Universe. It basically involves pouring through Cherryh's books (something we all love) and taking detailed notes (something we don't all love). In the end we would have basically an Ecyclopedia for Cherryh's Universe. Not only a excellent launching point for creative construction of a gaming supplement but also a good resource for any Cherryh fan.
If people are keen let me propose the following format:

TOPIC: MAHEN, XENO CONTACT
REFERENCE: Chanur's Venture, Daw, 303
QUOTE: The term HAN in its application as the collective of the hani species is clearly a reflection of mahen influence in the formative phase of hani world government.
DEDUCTIONS: Mahen are not above intrusively shaping the development of less advanced cultures.

Comments, please.
Wasn't someone comprising a list of characters in Cherryh's universe? Perhaps they would like to do a character sketch of everyone too.
			Jo

view full message
>From: Onno Meyer <Onno.Meyer@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de>
>Subject: Cherryhlist - starchase
>Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1993 10:27:40 +0200 (MET DST)
(...)
> 	There is a project I had thought of just before I went to
> the states but have not had the chance to propose to the list. Namely
> the starting of the first stage and producing a Concordance of
> Cherryh's Universe. (...)
That is a great idea, BUT...

I recently found out how hard it is to read a book with half a dozen computer files open, adding/changing text in each of them.

The Cherryh universe is very interrelated. It would be really hard to distribute the workload. If people want to share the job, we would have to distribute topics, not books.
> 	Wasn't someone comprising a list of characters in Cherryh's
> universe? Perhaps they would like to do a character sketch of everyone
> too.
I have done a list of HT, HB, DS and ML, and currently I'm adding the Compact characters. However, a character sketch is something completely different, and since I'm puzzling(sp?) over the Compact history, too, I won't have the time.
BTW, the character list contains every name mentioned in these books, and only a really small part of them are characters.
Onno
(...)

view full message
>From: Lesley Grant <lgrant@maths.tcd.ie>
>Subject: Cherryhlist
>Date: Mon, 20 Sep 93 9:42:16 BST
(...)

> 	There is a project I had thought of just before I went to
> the states but have not had the chance to propose to the list. Namely
> the starting of the first stage and producing a Concordance of
> Cherryh's Universe. (...)
Although a compulsive taker-of-notes, I must say that to date all attempts to take notes on Cherryh's books have failed miserably around p.85, as I'm much more interested in just reading :-) I have however, been slowly taking notes on all aspects of the azi. Each re-reading of _Cyteen_ I get a little more....
> 	If people are keen let me propose the following format:
>  (...)
This looks ok, but the QUOTE section is likely to get incredibly large, with material coming in from many books, especially for a topic like jump. I'm willing to give it a go, and I bagsies azi pyschological development, having some notes on it already.
			Lesley

view full message
>From: Onno Meyer <Onno.Meyer@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de>
>Subject: cherryhlist - stardrive
>Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1993 10:57:37 +0200 (MET DST)

> Coalating various people's observations and quotes on jump-drives
> you might consider a different approach.
[...]
I wondered wether we should include the jump technology into a "Cherryh Compendium" at all. Since nothing of this can be proven, perhaps we should simply describe the effects and use.

(There is no inventor for the deep-teach given - should we introduce him/her? The same applies here.)
Onno Meyer

view full message
;From: Jo Jaquinta <jaymin@maths.tcd.ie>
;Subject: Cherryhlist/Encyclopedia mark II
;Date: Thu, 7 Oct 93 8:59:10 BST
OK, various people have various reasons for why the original plan for a Cherryh Encyclopedia/Supplement wouldn't work. Here then is a modified idea.
Instead of a comprehensive index of all items it could exists as a collection of essays on various subject matters. For example I'm prompting Lesley to take the research we have done on the Kifish language and put together an essay on Kiffish words and grammer.
This, for example, could exist in two forms. The first would draw from quoted Cherryh material and refer to what we can directly deduce from the instances of Kifish about the langugage. The second form would be more detailed, adding in the additional working you need for a langugage. These, of course, would be made up and thus the second essay would come under the "Supplement" category.
I can make two directories on the archive: an "enc" and a "sup" and move the files in there. Another example: the Shiplist from The Company Wars would go into the "enc" directory and Matt Goldman's ship list would go in the "sup" directory.
Anyone want to volunteer to do any essays? Anyone with ideas for subject titles?
				Jo
(...)

view full message
;Subject: cherryhlist
;Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1993 09:44:38 +0100 (MET)
;From: Onno Meyer <Onno.Meyer@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de>
(...)
> 	Anyone want to volunteer to do any essays? Anyone with ideas for
> subject titles?
Well, I'm currently doing history and I could do ships next x-mas, but I disagree with a lot of people on a lot of tech questions. I think it would be a good idea to have two people working on everything.

Subjects should include:

Technology: This could be split into starship/station tech and medical tech. Somebody has to re-read every single book for ships and most of the books for medical.

Xenology: This could be split into the different alien species. Some- body has to re-read the books with aliens.

Politics/History/Geography: It's hard to split politics and history, but geography could be separate. Again, somebody has to re-read every book. The Compact history in the timeline v1.1 will be much closer to a schoolbook summary that to a timeline, and includes some politics. A timeline needs dates to be written, and I don't have them.
Onno

view full message
;From: Jo Jaquinta <jaymin@maths.tcd.ie>
;Subject: Cherryhlist/Re: Encyclopedia II
;Date: Fri, 8 Oct 93 17:15:16 BST
>Well, I'm currently doing history and I could do ships next x-mas, but
>I disagree with a lot of people on a lot of tech questions. I think it
>would be a good idea to have two people working on everything.
Don't be modest Onno, you disagree with nearly everyone on everything :-) ! The "Encyclopedia" should just be what Cherryh says on different topics. The only disagreement is on direct interpretation. The "Supplement" has a much larger scope for disagreement. The only working solution I would suggest is that every submission must try to maintain consistancy with any existing articles.
But certianly, having proofed enough of Lesley's academic writing, I would love to see different articles in the Encyclopedia refering to and disagreeing with each other, e.g. "Meyers remarks in "The Development of the Nail-file in Kiffish Society" of the singular nature of Kiffish pedicures referencing "Chanur's Podiatrist" p. 23-37. I find I must disagree. If we look at the wider view as she presents in her essay "Hygene in the Age of Space" printed in Locust, Aug 91, we find that regional variance is likely to be immaterial." etc, etc.
The idea is not so much as to generate the be-all-and-end-all reference but to have an organised presentation and interpretation of her material. Disention is an advantage, it allows the reader to form their own opinion.
			Jo

view full message
;Subject: cherryhlist
;Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1993 10:06:21 +0100 (MET)
;From: Onno Meyer <Onno.Meyer@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de>

(...)
> The "Supplement" has a much larger scope for disagreement. The only
> working solution I would suggest is that every submission must try to
> maintain consistancy with any existing articles.
But the selection of quotes depends on the opinion about the tech. Take for example the system rim patrol by riders. Until somebody used that as a proof for a "magic" drive on riderships, I considered that "action" as opposed to "background".

BTW, I don't disagree on everything. But it would be silly to post a "I agree" once I agree with someone. (That would happen once a month :-)
> 	But certianly, having proofed enough of Lesley's academic writing,
> I would love to see different articles in the Encyclopedia refering to
> and disagreeing with each other, (...)
That would be nice, but that won't happen very much if we distribute the topics. You suggest at least two people talking about Kif, and who will cover the Hani?
Onno Meyer

Copyright by the authors of the individual messages.
HTML formatting by Andreas Wandelt .